Skip to content

The Deep Sea Conservation Coalition (DSCC) challenges governments to protect the ocean from top to bottom in the wake of the new COP15 Biodiversity Framework, by calling for a stop to deep-sea mining and a ban on bottom trawling on global seamounts.

The new biodiversity framework demands vital action to halt biodiversity loss and restore ecosystems, and commits governments to protect at least 30% of Earth’s surface, including the global ocean, by 2030. To ensure we preserve the systems that sustain us, the DSCC joins calls for the remaining 70% to be effectively managed to prevent biodiversity loss and ecosystem degradation. This would mean that destructive activities – including deep-sea mining and bottom trawl fishing on seamounts and vulnerable marine ecosystems – would not be allowed. Target 15 of the new biodiversity framework adopted today also calls for nature disclosures for businesses, ensuring that companies disclose risks, dependencies and impacts on biodiversity.

Available in English.

Categories: 
Tags: